Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I love digital photobooks! Now I'm going to try Christmas Cards.

Some of you don't know that for a short time I was a Creative Memories consultant.  As such, I stocked my shelves with scrapbook supplies: paper, pens, tools, books, etc.

Then, shortly after we got our first digital camera and a new computer three years ago,  I tried making a digital photobook.  I loved it because the only "tools" you need are a computer, mouse & keyboard which are always available in my kitchen.  Since then, the scrapbook supplies have stayed shelved and I've made 5 digital books.  Two were of family vacations.  One was of an entire years' worth of family activities/events.  One was a climbing trip that my husband took to climb Pico de Orizaba in Mexico.  The most recent was a trip to climb the Grand Teton with my husband, dad, and brother.

My dad, Gary, had tried climbing the Grand years ago when my oldest siblings were young teenagers.  For a number of reasons, he never summitted.  He did reach the upper saddle and watched his brother and sister continue the climb from their to the summit, but as it was late in the day, he turned around to "collect" his three children who had stopped at various elevations along the route.

Last year, dad summitted the Middle Teton with that same brother (Rolf, who by the way also summitted Pico de Orizaba with my husband and is on our "coffee table Shutterfly book" of that epic trip).  After that, Scott and I started thinking that maybe Dad would like to make another attempt at climbing the Grand.  So, we asked my dad and my brother, Abel, if they'd like to attempt it this year with Scott and I.  In January, we got a permit for August 16-18.

To make a long story short, we hiked in on the 16th, camped until about midnight at the Caves, began a summit bid in the dark with a drizzly rain, summitted at 11:30 AM on the 17th, got to camp where we had dinner, climbed into our sleeping bags and were sound asleep by 7 PM.  Dad, Abel, and I slept until 6 the next morning, packed up camp, hiked out and enjoyed Dad's 68th Birthday lunch at Billy's Burgers in Jackson Hole.

I wanted to make a photobook for my Dad, but I was busy and as days passed, the desire grew less urgent.  Then Shutterfly sent me a promotion code that I could not pass up!  It got me going.  Within two days, the book was made and ordered.  I was able to ship it directly to my dad and Shutterfly even gave the option of including a gift card on which they printed the following note that read something like this:  Dad, Happy Birthday!  Congratulations on summitting the Grand Teton!  You probably did more work for this birthday present than any other in your life!  Love, Rachel

My dad received it a few weeks later and loved it.  My dad loves to have bragging rights (don't you Dad?!) and, now, he didn't just have to tell about our trip, he could show people what we did.  Here's the summit photo which was on the cover of the book:


Is that great or what?  It's my brother, Dad, me, and my husband feeling on top of the world.

So, I just heard about another Shutterfly promotion in which I can get 50 free Christmas Cards (maybe you'll want to do it too).  I've always made my own cards.  However, with this promotion, I am going to avoid running around town to the card/paper stores, copy store, and then sitting at my kitchen table with stamps, glue, etc.  Of course, it's something I really have liked to do just as I enjoyed making scrapbooks.  However, this promotion is going to prompt me to try something different.  I'm afraid I'm going to get hooked just as I did with digital photoooks.  So, I don't know what card you'll be getting in the mail yet from me, but it could be one of these designs (my favorites so far):




Check out your favorites at this Christmas card link and let me know which one you think I should send to you.

Next year, maybe I'll make a calendar or invitations.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment